Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

Mother, oh Mother,
come shake out your cloth,
empty the dustpan,
poison the moth,
hang out the washing
and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house
is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery,
blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little
Boy Blue (lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done
and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
The cleaning and scrubbing
will wait till tomorrow,
for Children grow up,
as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs.
Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep......

~Author Unknown ~ 

Might I add, teenagers also don't keep.... Often I get caught up in the details of the day (some things important, some not so much) and it is easy to forget what is important... as my children get older and I realize how fast time flies and how fast they have grown up.... I have come to appreciate every moment with them. I have had to discipline myself to put on blinders to the piles of laundry and sinks full of dirty dishes so I can sit with them and just hang out.... I love spending time with them, but sometimes it seems like I am pulled in so many different directions... but of everything I have done and experienced in my life, they are and have always been the most wonderful product of my care and attention.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms. And I think we should redefine motherhood. Even if you've never given birth or adopted or fostered, I think that if you have in any way taken time to care, nurture, mentor, guide or listen.... you have mothered.... and so I wish everyone a Happy Mother's Day.

And now for something fun. I posted this a year and a half ago, and many of you have probably seen it because it was a bunch of tv shows, but I think it is so hilarious (and TRUE!)- watch and enjoy....

3 comments:

  1. Oh what a beautiful poem - thank you for sharing it with us! Happy day to you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a Happy Mother's Day! I love this poem, so true!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo Hoo! The video is gone! But the poem is so lovely! Have blessed Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails