Friday, November 9, 2012

Apple Cider Doughnut Muffins

Guest blogger Samantha is making my mouth water today! You might need to hit the gym after just reading this post!


Fall has been so very good to me! Apple picking, long walks, and play time with my kitten, along with a visit from my mother-in-law and some much-needed time off from my full time job.  And in that time, I got to putting together some yummy recipes to pass off to my coworkers when I returned.  This is one of those recipes, however, I didn't really want to give up.  I was inspired when we went apple picking and was totally tempted by the apple cider doughnuts. I love how dense they are with the cinnamon-sugar topping all around.  That's the kind of feeling I tried to get in these muffins and, not to brag, I think I succeeded.
Here's what you'll need:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp apple cider sauce or regular applesauce
2 eggs
2 tsp baking soda
pinch of nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
Topping –
3 tbsp butter
6 tbsp cinnamon-sugar mixture
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place baking cups in a 12-cup muffin tin and lightly grease the insides. Set aside.
2.  In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together butter, oil, sugars and apple cider sauce. Add eggs, beating to combine, until mixture is smooth. Stir in baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
Add the flour to the butter mixture alternately with the milk, starting and ending with the flour. Stir to combine well. The batter should be light and fluffy.
3.  Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way full. Bake until a toothpick inserted into one of the center muffins comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool 10 minutes.
4.  Melt butter for topping. Dip the tops of each muffin into the butter, then roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place on a cooling rack to cool completely.





And there you are! Delicious muffins that are good for breakfast, brunch, or dessert.  I used the apple cider sauce that I got at a local farm stand, but regular unsweetened applesauce can be used as well.

What have you been up to this fall? Any wonderful farm stand finds?  Tell me all about it!
Happy Weekend!
Samantha

2 comments:

  1. They look delicious! I will give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum yum! Definitely will try

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails