Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas 2012 Rewind

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! Ours was lovely. We had the extended family over for dinner on Christmas Eve (it's my favorite time, because that's when the nieces & nephews open their gifts- and Christmas really is more fun with little kids!)


Dessert is very important! The cake in the lower left corner is Pear Spice Cake, with Ginger Cream Sauce in the pitcher. Both recipes are in my Fruitful Hands book- it is a favorite of ours at Christmastime! Every time I make it... I can't believe how good it is :)

On Christmas day, we went to visit our daughter Samantha and her husband Jeff, who hosted their first Christmas gathering in their new apartment. Then we came home and relaxed and enjoyed some of our Christmas gifts (watched some DVD movies and read our newest books.)

The day after Christmas, we were out early- I had to get all of my wrapping paper at 50% off for next year! (I almost ran out this year- don't want that to happen next year!) I also had to visit the calendar store at the mall and get my calendars for half off, also. I have collected calendars for about 15 years because I love the artwork. I still like to pull out my piles of calendars from the 1990's on occasion just so I can enjoy a cup of tea and flip through them, admiring the artwork.



On the 26th, we also did something I had been looking forward to for a while- we went to see the new Les Miserables movie..... it did not disappoint! So many times during the movie I had goosebumps, and I cried at the end.... I have been a huge fan of the stage show and soundtrack for many years (in fact, my daughter and I will be going to see the stage production in Philadelphia next month.)


I love this story of redemption- how Jean Valjean, one of the most noble literary characters of all time, turns away from hate, bitterness and hopelessness because of the kindness and mercy shown to him by one man, the Bishop. He learns to love unselfishly while raising his adopted daughter, Cosette. It is an epic story with heroism & battles, friendship, love at first sight, unrequited love, and comic relief provided by the Innkeeper and his wife.....
(And, I have to say- If Hugh Jackman & Anne Hathaway do not win Oscars, I will be very grumpy!)








We have had fun just hanging out and relaxing this week.... the kids have been baking in the kitchen, trying out some new recipes from their new cookbooks.... things got silly....




We will be taking a little time off from the blog over the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, I will be putting up some "Throwback Posts," highlighting some of my favorite posts from the past that you might have missed.

To all of my wonderful readers & friends, I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. And for those of you who find this time of year difficult and sad, please know that I am sending (((hugs))) your way.....



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review of Les Miserable!!! I have wanted to go but some of the reviews have not been kind. It's so expensive to go to the theater anymore that we avoid anything we think might be a bust. I also want to go see Lincoln and The Life of Pi.

    I do relate to collecting calendars - I do the same thing! Soem of them are just SO beautiful. They inspire me just by looking through them. My children always give me the Anne Geddes Babies calendar for Christmas, and then I always buy a few others that I like. We have them all over the house :*)

    Enjoy your break and I wish you & yours a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your holiday break.
    I love your dessert table. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have saved calendars from many years because of the beautiful pictures. Your Christmas sounds nice and relaxing and your Christmas Eve dessert table looks delicious. Les Miserables is on my list of movies to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely dessert table! I am so glad you had a chance to see the movie. I hope to see it soon. Belated Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boys and I went to see the movie yesterday. They all loved it. Yes, it does deserve to win an Oscar or two.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails