I also debuted my new book, Child's Play, and showed some samples from the book:
May is rapidly approaching- that means it's almost time for International Quilt Market in Portland, Oregon. I will have a new fabric line debuting at that show. I feel like I have been working on it forever.... This particular line has had many revisions. Sometimes a fabric line will come about quite easily, and other times it seems it takes a million tweaks to get it right.
I wanted to show you a little glimpse into how a fabric design might come about. This is a page from the Better Homes and Gardens June 2012 issue. I liked the pattern in the wall paper, with the alternating circular and diamond shaped motifs, and I thought an idea like this would work well with the line I was working on.
The description in the magazine says that the decorator was influenced by Indian prints. Indian prints are often done with a carved wooden block, which is stamped onto fabric or other surfaces. You can see that the circular motif in the wall paper has 8 "petals" and the center is a circle. Using that for inspiration, I drew a circular design that had 8 petals, but I had a different idea for the center:
I also drew a square which I could rotate into a diamond shape:
The palette for this line has a lot of blues, so I painted my motifs in a pretty turquoise color. Also, I couldn't get a close look at the details in the wall paper so my design ended up being quite a bit different from the original. The original also had some extra "fan shapes" in the circular motif which I did not include. (Even if I did have a detailed look at the original, I wouldn't copy it- I look at something to inspire me and then do my own thing.)
Then it was time to start laying things out in a repeat in PhotoShop to see what would happen....
(I also had some versions with the circles rotated a bit, but apparently I didn't save those...)
I took the center of the circle:
and repeated it to make a border:
In the end, we ended up not using the circle & diamond repeat, but we did use the border and the individual circle and square motifs that I originally painted. When we get closer to Quilt Market, I will show you some of the patterns that DID actually make it into the line!
So that is a little bit about the evolution of just one pattern in a fabric line.... And then you figure that there are anywhere from 5-8 patterns in a line... a lot of stuff that you like doesn't make the final cut because it just doesn't work with the rest of the line. It takes a lot of hours... (if I ever actually kept track of how many hours I spend putting a line together, I would probably shock myself!)











Most people don't realize the work and time that goes into designing. I think I spend more time working out a design, then actually making it, lol.
ReplyDeleteDebbie
You know, Debbie, even after 7 or 8 lines, I still UNDERESTIMATE how long it will take me. I have too many ideas for designs and not enough time to implement them :)
DeleteVery cool! It is always fun to get a glimpse behind the scenes to learn more about how things are born. Those motifs and designs would definitely work in any quilt of mine :*)
ReplyDeleteThanks Teresa! They are kind of "snowflake-y," don't you think? Maybe they will find their way into a winter themed fabric line or design project??
DeleteThanks for sharing, hearing about the process brings more appreciation for the end result. I am going to spring market, I hope I see you and your new fabric.
ReplyDeleteHi Carrie- It would be great to meet you! I won't have a booth of my own this time, you can find me hanging out at the Henry Glass booth :)
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteWow, that was so fun, to see how you get inspired and then how you progress through the design process. Cool! I love those motifs....and the colors, too. Hope things go well and Market is fun!
ReplyDeleteThat is a pretty quick and dirty description of the process.... it takes a long time... and lot of that time is spent sitting in front of the computer screen wondering what to do next....
DeleteThank you - the copy of the magazine arrived to my sister's and she described it to me and I am thrilled. Dad will bring it to me in a few weeks :) Many thanks once again!!! I can't wait to look through and make something!!
ReplyDeleteYou are welcome Amy! Can't wait to see some of your projects :)
Deleteslot siteleri
ReplyDeletekralbet
betpark
tipobet
betmatik
kibris bahis siteleri
poker siteleri
bonus veren siteler
mobil ödeme bahis
PWE
شركة نقل عفش بحولي
ReplyDeletepISDGFr1BtP8lh
دليل العناية الشاملة بالمنازل: خطتك الذكية لبيئة سكنية صحية ومثالية
ReplyDeleteالحفاظ على جودة الحياة داخل المنزل يتطلب متابعة دورية واهتماماً بكافة أركان البيئة السكنية؛ فالوقاية دائماً خير من العلاج.
لضمان سلامة أسرتك وطول عمر ممتلكاتك، يُنصح بالبدء بالفحص الدوري لشبكات الصرف الصحي لمنع التنسيم أو الانسدادات المفاجئة، وهو ما توفره لكم خبرات تسليك مجاري بالاحساء بأحدث الأدوات.
كما أن حماية المبنى من التقلبات الجوية والتسريبات يستدعي تطبيق خدمات عزل اسطح بالاحساء للحفاظ على السلامة الإنشائية وضبط درجات الحرارة.
ولأن الصحة تبدأ من المياه والهواء، فإن العناية بمصادر المياه من خلال تنظيف خزانات بالاحساء
وإدامة صيانة وأجهزة التبريد عبر تنظيف مكيفات بالاحساء يضمن لك بيئة نقية خالية من الملوثات.
ولإتمام العناية المتكاملة بالنظافة العامة والمظهر الجمالي للمنزل، يمكنك الاعتماد على حلول شركة تنظيف بالاحساء
التي تشمل العناية بالفرش والمفروشات بأساليب متطورة مثل تنظيف سجاد بالاحساء
وإعادة الأناقة لأماكن الضيافة عبر تنظيف مجالس بالاحساء.
وتكتمل هذه الخطوات بالتحصين المباشر لمنزلك ضد الآفات بفضل خدمات مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء.
مع شركة البيت الألماني، تصبح صيانة وتجهيز منزلك عملية سهلة تضمن لك ولأسرتك الأمان والراحة التامة.
xfhjm#12