Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Growing Pains

I haven't written anything in awhile because, well, frankly, I really didn't feel like it. Things have been pretty emotional around here. We dropped Sam, our oldest, off at college on Saturday. She has a great dorm room and nice room mate. We know that she will do fine and have a wonderful time. But, there is of course, an adjustment to be made, and there have been tears on both sides. I cried for the first 2 days, and last night she called us in tears, feeling kind of lonely. I'm sure there are plenty of those calls being made this week, from campuses in every corner of the country. But she is such a great kid, so vibrant and alive, I have assured her that once she settles in and meets more people, she will have plenty of friends. And I mean it- I should know, because she is one of my very best friends....... (sigh, tears). I am glad that she feels she can call home when she is feeling down, I am excited for her on this new journey and hope I can encourage and comfort her (as only a mom can do). I look forward to the day when technology will allow us to give a real *hug* over the phone.



I think one of the reasons that I so dreaded her going away and miss her so much now is that she is so awesome that I honestly don't want to share her with the world- I want to keep her all to myself! But that wouldn't be fair to the world- she is such a light and has so much to give.



So now I guess I should stop going on and on....


So anyway, I got a couple of new books for my birthday a week or so ago that I know you will all enjoy. In fact, one was printed in 2005, and I just can't believe that I am just now discovering this "new" author- in fact, she has several books out now, a magazine, a store, a food company, is an environmental enthusiast and activist, and most importantly, she is a Farmgirl Extraordinaire (well, she calls herself a farmgirl, I added in the Extraordinaire part, you'll see why). Her name is MaryJane Butters, maybe many (or most) of you have already heard of her. She seems to be part Superwoman, part Caroline Ingalls, maybe a little Susan B. Anthony with a pinch of Opray Winfrey. And by the way- that is her on the cover- so in addition to everything else, she's pretty, too- so not fair! I got her first book, MaryJane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook (subtitled - for the farmgirl in all of us), along with another, MaryJane's Outpost (subtitle - unleashing your inner wild). The first is about 400 pages long, and get this- she did most of the photography herself! So, I am pretty sure that this lady just never sleeps. Whenever I find myself plopped in front of the TV or just hangin' out doin' nothin', I tell my husband, "I bet MaryJane never just sits around on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon!" And actually, I did read that she doesn't watch TV, so that tells ya somethin'. (For some reason, I had an urge to drop my g's, I'm not sure if this makes me more of a farmgirl or not). Talkin' about this makes me want to go shovel some manure and make some excellent biscuits (maybe not in that order...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails