Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Stormy Sunday

Sunday morning, the light was really neat so I took a bunch of pictures around the yard and garden, figuring I'd post them on Sunday afternoon. Above are some morning glories I shot, before all of the mayhem started...

Some really serious storms started up around 10:30 am, and continued off and on all day. The ground was covered with hail which made it look like it was snowing in August- weird. Our power went out at 2:30 in the afternoon, came back on at 10 pm, and then went out again at 12:30 in the morning. When I called the electric company at about 8 am Monday morning (for about the 8th time- yes I'm one of those people, but hey the squeaky wheel gets the grease- sometimes), they told me that the electric would be back on at 11:00 am.......... TUESDAY. Let me just add that all of my neighbors on my street had their power back on at 4:30 Sunday afternoon, we are the only ones on a separate line, so as I sat in the dark, I saw all of my neighbors with just about every possible indoor and outdoor light on, just sucking up all the electric they could, they were probably watching TV and surfing the web and making margaritas in their blenders.... but I'm not bitter....... However, I digress.... So Monday morning after learning that I had another 27 hours to go without power, I packed up everything I could from my fridge and freezer, took it to store at my in-laws, and did what any self-reliant, independent pioneer woman would do, and went to the mall.

I got back home at about 3 and saw an electric truck driving down the street. Unable to flag him down from my yard (I'm sure I looked like an idiot) I jumped in my car and tracked him down. Long story short, we managed to get power back at 3:30 on Monday, only 25 hours after it first went out. I'm so glad I didn't have to wait until today.... One time a few years ago we were out for 4 days.

So anywayyyyyyyyy........ Later this week I'll post the pretty pictures that I had intended on posting on Sunday. Here is a kind of photo-chronicle of that day.
Ominous skies before it all began, as viewed from our back yard.

In between storms, we spotted 2 hawks in the backyard.

A double rainbow after it was all over.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous photos....even the ominous dark sky! Yes, I think the best place to be would have been the mall!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails