Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Christmas Village

I spent this past week helping to set up our Chrismas Village at our church. This is the first time we have ever done it, and when you look at the photos, keep in mind that construction just began in September! It will stay up for a week, and since it takes up our entire sanctuary, this Sunday we will be having services outside in a large heated tent. Sounds kind of fun!

The village came out beautifully, and we hope that every year it will be better and better. So if you live in the South Jersey/Delaware Valley area, email me and I'll give you the information, admission is free.

Here is a photo from the set up at the beginning of the week. Pictured are me, a guy from our church who hosted the construction at his home shop, and our youth pastor.

(I am the one in the back wearing overalls, in case you were wondering.....)

Remember this sign? It was fun looking for the fake baked goods for the bakery window. I also made some gingerbread for the window and the wreath. I made them out of salt dough, painted them, sealed with waterbased matte varnish, and used white dimensional fabric paint for the "icing."



A view inside the toy store window that I set up. I know, I know- sock monkeys aren't exactly Victorian, but ya do what ya gotta do....



The schoolhouse-



A view down one of the streets. I made the fruit ornament over the door (I've seen them on historic homes and in Williamsburg, VA, and I'm sure there's a name for them, but I don't know what it is) by cutting a piece of cardboard in a semi-circle, painting it brown, then gluing on silk leaves and styrofoam fruit which I had cut in half.


View down another street-



The stage area has a church, 2 homes and a Nativity scene. It's just beautiful!



Hope you enjoyed your "tour" through the village. Merry Christmas!

12 comments:

  1. This is too cool! I am wondering how far we might be from you...

    Hmmm....

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacquelynne,
    That is just beautiful and how much work you all did!! It is just lovely!! Only bad thing is that I am too far away to come and see it in person! :-( Thanks for the tour!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such an amazing job! Gorgeous! I wish that I could come by for a closer look.:) Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute is that! If I was in PA I would make the trip!!

    Maybe Becky isn't too far!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing display, the hours of service. Congratulations on this noble work.
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jacquelynne,
    It is the most amazing thing ever~I love everything you did! I so wish I lived by you and could see YOU and the church all done up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jacquelynne ~ this is so beautiful. I wish I lived closer so that I could come see it in person.

    Thanks for inviting us on the tour!

    Hugz,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful detail! How beautiful! I hope that you have a bunch of fun this week, . . . seeing people's faces when they walk in. . . I'm sure there will be many dropped jaws & oohs & ahs! You should be proud!!! xo, Bren

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome is the only word I can think of for this...WOW! I wish I were close enough to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in total "awe"-mazement! How fun to be able to participate in the making of that sweet little village.
    Wish I lived closer too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails