Friday, February 27, 2009

Feathered Friends & Signs of Spring

My husband recently took these photos near our home...

Snow geese on the move....

Male cardinal who frequently visits outside my studio window.... and adds a much welcome splash of color on gray winter days.... A pair of bald eagles surveying their domain... we have seen their nest nearby...
I am looking forward to more "friends" visiting as the weather warms up...
Hold on- spring is on the way....

Lately I have been just a bit envious of a friend who lives in the sunny state of Arizona (you know who you are!). How I miss the sun on my face, and being able to walk out to the car without being bundled up to the very top of my head! I miss green things and colorful flowers and ladybugs and butterflies in the garden...

I suppose if the weather were perfect all of the time, I would soon fail to appreciate it. I would quickly come to take for granted that the sun would shine the next day, and the freedom of walking through the tickly grass in my bare feet.... and those sublime days when I can lie in the hammock under the hazelnut tree sipping iced tea and reading a good book.... or pick a cherry tomato from the garden and pop its sun-warmed sweetness right into my mouth....

The winter makes us long for, and appreciate, the spring. I was talking to my daughter the other day, and she was happy and chipper, and just commenting that everything that week was good. I recommended to her that she write it down, how she was feeling and all of the blessings in her life, so that when the time comes (and, unfortunately, it always does, for all of us) that things weren't so rosy, she could reflect upon those comforting memories and be assured that the sun will certainly shine again. When things get tough, we seem to feel like life is not good, never was good, never again will be good. Somehow, we know this isn't true, and yet we tend to wallow in it, just a little (or am I only speaking for myself here??)

So here's to the coming spring, to warmth and light and signs of life...

10 comments:

  1. I love the idea that you told her to write those special days down. You are so right. Everyday is a new day and we don't know what it brings. I hang on to something a friend told me long ago-We are either in the midst of a trial, going into a trial, or coming out of a trial. I also hang on to knowing that THIS TOO SHALL PASS. When I was younger I didn't realize that these times come and go but this is what makes us grow. I don't like those days though. I love peace and happiness and contentment. But that is not reality. I am longing for spring too. I guess that is another comparison- the seasons. I have never thought of that. We go through seasons too. The picture of those birds are amazing. Your husband did great taking that picture. Have a Blessed day today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are great! Looking forward to spring here too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cardinal pic is awesome! We have a couple I see often in my back yard. And some bluebirds are eyeing my blue bird box too!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the gorgeous pictures. We love to watch the birds outside our windows too. Looking forward to seeing the robins soon! Oh, I LOVE Millie, she's adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pictues are so beautiful, especially the cardinal. Are you near Cape May? I was there once on vacation and remember how beautiful it is and the fantastic birds that I saw. Your pictures give me hope...spring WILL come. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos! I love the promise of spring. . . ! See - although we do have wonderful weather. . . I often find myself missing the clear changing of seasons. I love how they remind us to be patient & to always know that change will come. . .
    Hope you enjoy watching spring come!
    xo, Bren

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I hope you are right. I am so ready. We still have lots of snow and it is really cold here in NY today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures! I too am longing for spring. We have rain here today and snow is predicted for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your bird pictures. I've so enjoyed the cardinals in my yard this week. I can't wait for the hummingbirds.

    I too was just thinking about how great my life has been going. On Saturday morning I got the bomb dropped again. I'm in the process of trying to remember that this too shall pass and life will be good again. Writting the good feelings when we have them sounds like a very good idea. Thanks, I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails