Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Quilting and Creativity

Some photos from a class I taught last week. It was Ladybug Garden, the first pattern that I ever published. I love how different all of the quilts are, and how they reflect the personality of each person who made them. One of the ladies decided to add a butterfly in addition to the ladybugs, since she is making it for her grand daughter and she collects butterflies.
I think it is so important to make a quilt (or whatever it is that you are creating) your own, add a little something that truly reflects yourself or the person you are giving it to. And don't be afraid to stray from what you would "normally" do, work with a color that you would not typically be drawn to. Or choose a project that is of a different scale than you are used to- try to make something in miniature, or make something HUGE... it doesn't matter, as long as you step away from your comfort zone a little. It doesn't mean that all of your work has to be like this, but once in a while it is good to stretch, to do something unexpected and fun... you never know what you will discover about yourself. For me, no matter how hard I try to branch out, I tend to gravitate toward the same colors, so sometimes I will buy a kit to work on that is completely different from anything I have in my house. Then when the project is done, if it doesn't match my decor, I give it to someone (or I could just redecorate an entire room around that one piece.... hmmm...)
If you are interested in the Ladybug Garden pattern, you can find it by clicking here.
It is snowing here again, all of the kids are excited at the prospect of an early dismissal from school. To me, it is just the perfect day to stay in and sew, sew, sew! Maybe I'll throw some stew or chili on the stove to simmer away all day... Hope you are having a great day, no matter what the weather wherever you are.

2 comments:

  1. I like your lady bug quilt. I really like the idea of adding the butterfly. I, too, love butterflies and would add one. I have never done applique' on a pieced quilt top like that. I am thinking I just need to give that a try!
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like so much fun! If I lived closer, I'd sign up for one of your classes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails