Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Inspiration Today

inspiration (ˌɪnspɪˈreɪʃən)
— n
1. stimulation or arousal of the mind, feelings, etc, to special or unusual activity or creativity
2. the state or quality of being so stimulated or aroused
3. someone or something that causes this state
4. an idea or action resulting from such a state
Collins English Dictionary


 Inspiration comes today from a pretty Gerbera daisy in a grocery store flower arrangement on the kitchen table.


Just as I sat doing some sketches of the flowers, the mailman brought a package- my order from the art supply store.... I treated myself to some wants (37 new colored pencils!) and needs (3 different pads of watercolor paper).





What is it about brand new supplies that is so invigorating and inspiring? I used to love getting new school supplies at the beginning of every school year- especially the giant box of brand new crayons.... Oh, seeing and sorting and arranging all of the colors in the box was like discovering a brand new world every time....

Now I get the same feeling when my new pencils and paints come... and when I visit a fabric store.... All the possibilities just make me feel so creatively inspired. I want to color and paint and sew everything...

I am also inspired whenever I open my kitchen cabinets... I like to collect dishes in lots of different colors and patterns... mismatched dishes don't bother me at all...


My red teapot and some favorite counter top pretties also make me feel happy and energized....



What is inspiring you today? Your fabric or thread collection? A new piece of clothing you got over the weekend? A beautiful magazine article or photo spread? Everything???

3 comments:

  1. It's actually a piece of fabric. Every time I sew across a block that has it inside, I want to stop, get the scraps, and start making a quilt for my 8 year old niece. :) It's that fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that feeling of new school supplies, especially the new boxes of crayons. The best thing was the older you got the more colors you would get. It was wonderful. Colors and fabrics inspire me. Colors could be from anywhere too.
    I remember a trip across the dessert and looking at all the beautiful hues of the sky as the sun was going down over the mtn and wondering if I could find fabrics to match and recreate it in an applique. I spent hours planning on how I was going to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did u buy ur red teapot? I wouls like to own one.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails