Monday, October 1, 2012

National Cookie Month! Trailblazer Cookie Recipe

I recently heard that October is National Cookie Month. I did not bother to verify this information. I was afraid that it might not be true, and that would make me sad :(   So I am just going on the assumption that it is indeed National Cookie Month and I fully intend to take advantage of it....

In celebration, there will be plenty of cookie recipes here on my blog this month. I will also be providing an easy to print out PDF for each recipe. First up, Trailblazer Cookies. I found this recipe in my local newspaper a few weeks ago and I wanted to try it because I am convinced that they are healthy, full of dried fruit, nuts, oatmeal, dark chocolate, and whole wheat flour. Of course there is some butter and brown sugar in there to balance out the healthy stuff.

When I go to the store and I'm in a "healthy" mood,  I tend to buy lots of dried fruit from the bulk section (for healthy snacks, yeah, that's the ticket!) but it never seems to get used up before it dries out. This recipe uses 2 whole cups of dried fruit- a good way to use it up and clean out the pantry. And these cookies are really packed with "stuff"- a lot of fruit, nuts and chocolate chips! I love "stuff"- don't you???

I made a few alterations to the original recipe- here is my version.



Trailblazer Cookies
Makes about 5 dozen

1 stick butter, softened
1 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal (not instant)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon coarse salt
10 oz. package Nestle Dark Chocolate Chips
2 cups mixed chopped dried fruit (I used dried currants, golden raisins, and dates)
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Beat butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Add vanilla.

In separate bowl stir flours, oatmeal, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until well blended. On lowest speed, gradually beat in flour mixture until well blended.

Add chocolate chips, fruit, and nuts and stir until combined.

Drop batter by heaping tablespoons onto pans, placing cookies about 2" apart. Bake until cookies are set and lightly browned, about 13-15 minutes. Cool slightly on pans before removing to wire racks.

CLICK HERE FOR PDF

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing.....
    I love biscuit recipes..... Will be making these this weekend.
    Hope to read more as the moth progresses.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails