Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Changes Are Coming....



This is a long post, so I hope you’ll stick with me! I have been talking about re-doing my website (due to be up and running around the first week in May) and some changes to my business. I wanted to share some details with you along the way. Some of the changes you've already seen- like the decision to turn our popular newsletter into an online magazine format, and the publication of our very first e-book (coming soon, very soon!)



But I will also say that the decision to make these changes wasn’t super easy. Change is scary, especially if what you’re doing is OK. Because what if your new ideas flop and you wish you had just stuck with what you were doing before??  But if you want to be more than just OK, you have to take some risks. You have to get out of the boat if you’re going to walk on water, as they say…..

There are several reasons why I am re-doing my blog and website: I want my site to be well-organized and easy to navigate. I want it to be easy for you to find all of the projects and recipes that we’ve shared here.  And I want it to be pretty. The blog & website have had the same look for five years now, and it’s really time for a change!

If you have been following my blog for a little while, you know that I have already been sharing not just sewing & quilting ideas, but also lots of recipes and craft and decorating projects, too. But in getting some objective, outside opinions, I discovered that my current blog appears to be, at first glance, a quilting blog only. Also, it also doesn't showcase my artwork at all- and that is a really large part of who I am and what I do.

So the new blog and website will feature not just the quilting and sewing projects that many of you expect to find here, but much more. I hope you will like it! My goal is to reach out to a larger audience than those looking just for quilting blogs. I believe we are all creative and I believe that we all like to express our creativity in different ways. If you have visited this blog, chances are you are interested in at least some of the “home arts,” such as cooking, sewing, crafting, entertaining, gardening, decorating….. I believe that home is the best place to express our creativity. I would like this to be a place where we can inspire each other and learn from each other in all of these creative areas.

Now….. my business name. I became “The Noble Wife” sort of by accident. I had been making wool pins to benefit charity. I thought that since the pins were made of wool, it would be cool to donate the profits to a charity that provides sheep to poor families so they can start a business. I was reading Proverbs 31 in the Bible one day and came across this verse:

A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.
She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. (vs 10, 13 & 21)

I thought that was the perfect name for the pins. Then I started designing quilt patterns, and just carried over the name. However, the artwork that I do is under my name, Jacquelynne Steves. It seemed to be a little confusing that people had to remember not one, but two names for me! 

So, to simplify things, I have decided to change my business name to Jacquelynne Steves. It makes sense because I will probably always be Jacquelynne Steves, so no matter what I decide to do, the name will always fit. (Like, someday if I decide to open a car repair shop, I can just call it “Jacquelynne Steves’ Garage” and that will work! “The Noble Wife Garage” doesn’t seem to work as well, ha ha.)

My web address will be JacquelynneSteves.com. (However, TheNobleWife.com will still also work- it will be directed to my new website as well.)

Since I am going with Jacquelynne Steves for my business name, I wanted a tag line which was really descriptive of my business and what I’m about. We talked about so many! We spent days and weeks jotting down ideas (this was probably the point which drove my family the most crazy.) I went through a stack of index cards, writing down possibilities on each one and then looking at all of them and trying to decide on the best one. In the end, I decided on one that I just love and think works perfectly:



It’s perfect because the “art” refers not only to the artwork that I do, but also the art of being a home maker and being creative in your home and with your family.

So those are just some of the changes I have been working on over the last several months. (The products that I offer will change a little too, but I’ll talk about that later.) In the next weeks and months, I’ll show you more of the changes I’m making. I hope you will come along on this little adventure with me!

I’m really excited- it’s really good to shake things up once in a while and take a risk! It’s so easy to just get stuck in a rut. I firmly believe in the law of momentum- 
an object at rest tends to stay at rest, but an object in motion tends to stay in motion…..

So now…. Let me challenge you a bit. What in your life needs a little shaking up? It doesn't have to be major- it can be as simple as trying a new recipe or wearing red lipstick if you always wear pink. Or maybe it’s really big- starting a new business or having a baby or walking away from a job or relationship that is really not good for you anymore. If you feel comfortable doing so, you can share what you’d like to “shake up” in your comments below. If you’re not comfortable giving the details, then maybe just tell us that you've made the decision to start shaking things up today!




P.S. Some of my social media addresses have changed- Please click here for my new Twitter address, and click here for my new Instagram address.
Facebook would not let me change my page name.... sooooo.... find my brand new Facebook page here. (This new page will take the place of my old page.)


27 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the new "you" Jacquelynne! Love the tagline - it's perfect :*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa- I'm glad you like the tagline. I thought about it for a long time :)

      Delete
  2. I look forward to seeing the new changes and I think using your name is a wonderful idea for your business name.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie. I was (still am) a little nervous about letting go of the old name... but I think it's best in the long run.

      Delete
  3. I very much enjoyed your post and am looking forward to all your changes. Change is good and good for you for not just thinking about it but actually doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really the challenge, isn't it?? I'm a great planner, but not always a very good do-er!

      Delete
  4. Just found you...but I will continue to follow. Good for you...change is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all face changes - sometimes we don't even realize it happened it is such a smooth transition - others are a jolt. Challenge - I am seriously looking to move. A super huge house, with winding stairs and lots ot step up/downs just isn't the comfort zone at the time. Moving on into my winter years of life - I want simplicity and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think knowing- and then accepting- what we want and need is oftentimes the hardest part. Making up your mind is half the battle.

      Delete
  6. We're thinking of moving too, like Vrooman's Quilts....it's fun and scary at the same time! Much love and prayers as you move forward with your changes! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and prayers. Moving is definitely scary, but exciting too! Can't wait to see where you end up :)

      Delete
  7. Change is coming my way as well. Sometimes though the change that comes is not because we are changing so much as others. I will become an empty nester later this summer as my youngest gets married. I also have a few other changes coming with each of my children that are good just change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sometimes change is forced upon us and we have to decide how we are going to deal with it! Last summer my oldest daughter got married, and in the fall my youngest will be going to college, so I know exactly what you are going through....

      Delete
  8. I feel sure that whatever you change, it will be met with success. You seem to have your finger on the pulse of women these days. I see a resurgence of the "Art of Home" in our young women and you are a great mentor.
    I considered making a big change about three weeks ago. I thought I wanted to start a business of my own. After careful consideration and prayer, I decided it was not for me. But change is coming as my husband will be retiring this summer. I don't know what life will hold for us, but I look forward to it with excitement and curiosity.
    Good luck Jacquelynne!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda, you are very kind.
      Yes I know there have been times when I thought I really wanted something, but after thought and prayer decided that it wasn't the best idea or wasn't what I really wanted after all. Best wishes to you, too, for whatever the future holds for you and your husband.

      Delete
  9. I am also new to your blog, I heard you on with Pat Sloan. I could write an even longer post about change. Lets just say, I am a mature women (gramma age) and recently left one job to work with my husband in a business we have had our hands in for several years. I am very happy. I have more time to be creative. I have a quote I read somewhere that stuck in my mind. Change, is going from where you are to where you want to be.
    I say change is good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change IS good- it keeps us from getting stuck and stale! I am glad everything is working out with your business!

      Delete
  10. As human beings, I think we are always learning and changing! It makes life more interesting! Looking forward to the upcoming changes! Pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we would be pretty boring if we never changed- I know that I get bored with MYSELF very easily ha ha.

      Delete
  11. I have been listening to American patchwork and quilting podcasts and I came across your interview, loved it! I just had to stop by your blog! I think the noble wife is a great name but I also love your new name and 'slogan', it sounds awesome and really professional! You have another follower, I can't wait to continue to explore your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw gee, Amy- You're making me blush ;). Thanks for your very kind words- so happy to have you along!!

      Delete
  12. I was looking around on the Noble Wife blog and I love it to read Proverbs 31 by info!
    I understand that it has to change for doing business, but would like to say that I loved it. Good luck with all changes, I am a FB follower of your new page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hanke, and thanks for following my new Facebook page. I hope you will enjoy it!

      Delete
  13. I love your new tagline! It really fits what you share in your blog and enjoy doing. I, too, need to do a little make-over to my blog and also my business name. Pondering it all and planning to have a new look by the end of the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you come up with, Sandi! It's fun to plan and dream a little, isn't it?

      Delete
  14. Jacquelynn, I love your star potholder tutorial,it won't fully download can you help please gaeljim@rogers.com Thank you Gael

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails