Thursday, March 28, 2013

In the Studio Today: Appliqued Butterfly Project & New Art

It's been kind of a weird week here. Some of you may have seen on Facebook that I got called for jury duty on Tuesday. I arrived at the courthouse at 1 pm as instructed, and was met with a line out the door for people just trying to get into the courthouse. Hmmm... that seemed odd. Then they ushered us into a room in the basement which was about 100 degrees and standing room only- at least a hundred people in there and they were bringing in more chairs. Curious-er and curious-er.... I was getting the feeling that this wasn't a breaking-and-entering sort of trial. When they announced that they were running over an hour late because the judge was still with the morning's groups of potential jurors, I knew for sure something was up.

After waiting 3 hours, we went into the courtroom. First I saw a group of people which I assumed were family members, then we met the judge, prosecutors, defense attorneys, and 3 defendants, and found out it was a murder trial. I will be honest and tell you that the whole thing made me really uncomfortable... a little too "real life," you know? The defendants were all young men, about my daughter's age, it's possible that she even went to high school with them. When they turned to address the potential jurors, I got a little choked up... I wondered if they were born into different families in a different city where they might be right now instead of here....  I was relieved to be excused during the first round (due to a scheduling conflict on my part.) I think I would make a terrible juror. I don't know how objective I could be, I think I would spend the rest of my life second-guessing my decision. I frankly don't want the responsibility of deciding whether or not these young men would spend the rest of their lives behind bars. Or what if I voted to acquit them- would that mean justice for the victim and their family??? So while I sat there I just prayed that I would be put on the jury if God had a purpose for me being there, or that I would be excused if not. So I got my answer. Then I said some prayers for the judge, lawyers, defendants, and of course all of the families involved. It will weigh on me over the next few weeks as the trial progresses......

Has anyone ever been a juror, especially on an important trial? How did you feel about it- did you find it fascinating? exhausting? confusing? All of the above?? How did you handle it? I'm just curious- I think it would have been really interesting, but the fact that there are real people involved, instead of actors in an episode of Law & Order, puts things in a different light.

Anyway, onto happier news.... I have actually carved out a little time for painting this week, which I haven't done in it-seems-like-forever. I started this back in the fall, and then I got busy and set it aside. I forced myself to work on it this week, and as soon as I got started, I remembered the joy that I feel when I pick up my brushes and paints and colored pencils.... ahhhhh... the world just melts away.... I really needed that this week....


I also squeezed in a little time for sewing and started to work on a project for my next newsletter. Machine applique- instant gratification, ha ha. Click here for a tutorial on machine applique if you'd like some tips on how I do it, or if you've never done it but would like to give it a try.


What do you do to relax when the world is weighing heavy on you?
I hope you all have a good week and a Happy Easter!

25 comments:

  1. I am excused from jury duty since I cannot site for long periods and other health problems. I also would not want to be judge and juror for someone's life.

    I need to do more machine applique, then I might actually finish something, lol.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, machine applique is much faster, but you don't have the advantage of being able to enjoy a Jane Austen movie or Downton Abbey episode while doing it like you can with hand applique....

      Delete
  2. I would not want to be called for jury duty. I find that x-stitching is very relaxing and often turn to that when I need a break from what's weighing on my mind. Your post was a lovely read - as usual. Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do cross stitch many years ago (it's in my hobby "collection"!) but over the last few years, embroidery and applique have taken over.... So much thread, so little time!!

      Delete
  3. So glad you got out of that, and after all that waiting, geesch. Painting or reading gets me away from it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like painting and reading too- they are both good "escapes"- they make your brain quiet down and focus on something else :)

      Delete
  4. I got called for jury one time, but I thing there was mold in the ac vents and all of the perfumes and hairsprays aggravated my asthma so bad I had an attack, I was so embarrassed, luckily my husband had driven me and was at a book store close by because I could have never driven home. I would have enjoyed doing jury duty, but not for a murder trial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too bad- it must be difficult to go in public places when you have bad allergies like that- I bet the mall is awful for you! ;)

      Delete
  5. I did serve on a jury once, it was upsetting to me and confusing for all of the reasons you mentioned. The case was not clear cut and I was very uncomfortable making a judgement call that would impact the rest of that person's life. Ended up we were a hung jury, which was ok for me, but meant the poor person had to go through it all over again. I too prayed for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellyn, as I read your response, it occurs to me that probably the people who take the responsibility the most seriously (like you) make the best jurors. But it is an emotional burden for someone who is very conscientious. I guess you just have to walk out of there believing that you did your very best, and then try to shake it off.

      Delete
  6. I have been on jury duty about 4 times and have been on juries twice. The first time was a murder case that lasted 2 or 3 weeks. The evidence clearly showed the defendant was guilty and it was a unanimous decision by the Jury. I did have a moment of what if we were wrong as I was walking out of the courthouse that evening after we gave our verdict. It is a very big responsibility as your verdict affects so many lives in a murder case. Years later the defendant was in the news for holding a woman hostage in a house for several hours when he was on some kind of release program from the jail. I have never had any doubt that we made the right decision. One of the interesting things about the case was that he actually had resided in the home of the Clerk of the Court and was a good friend of her son who was the same age. I was never sure why they didn't excuse her from the case as it always seemed like a possible conflict of interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe what makes the law so interesting sometimes is the quirks and inconsistencies???? And maybe that's the kind of stuff that makes us watch shows like Law & Order??

      Delete
  7. Wow. I don't know why everyone hates jury duty so much - especially since I don't even know anyone beyond myself who has been called to serve on a jury. I've been called a few times. The first time, I served on a basic Burglary/Breaking & Entering case. Like Judy, it was fairly clear cut and the defendant was a repeat offender, but even though I took it seriously, I did have a moment of "what if I was wrong?" as I exited the courthouse. This last time, the case didn't go to trial since the defendant made a plea bargain. I find the cases interesting and serving as a responsibility for being a good citizen. It's such a minor inconvenience (since most employers provide paid leave to serve). Anyway, that's my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is a responsibility. I guess some cases are much easier to judge than others, and it's good to be conscientious and try to do your very best to come up with a just verdict. I just never really thought about the jurors before- it can take an emotional toll, and a financial toll if your employer does not pay for the leave (although, I think most courts will excuse you if this is the case.)

      Delete
  8. I was called to serve once and even sat in for testimony one morning, but when we returned after the lunch break we were told the defendant had accepted a plea so the trial was over! I was kind of relieved - what a big responsibility!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I felt- I was willing to do it if necessary, but relieved that I didn't have to :)

      Delete
  9. I've only been called once, and then I wasn't selected, but I have thought about these things many times. I think I would be very apprehensive and be praying a lot, if I were part of the decision process for someone else's life.
    I love your art work, and your machine applique is so cute - are those on a tea towel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's not quite done yet, but it will be a tea towel. The project will be in the next newsletter, so stay tuned! :)

      Delete
  10. i had jury once about twenty years ago ... a couple had pled not guilty to starving their infant to death. this was very hard, gut wrenching and heartbreaking, but we managed to weigh the evidence and listen to their testimony and found them guilty. i couldn't talk about it for years. but i got through the trial with hub's help and knitting up a storm.
    crafting has kept me going, lifts my spirits and makes me whole again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that was such a difficult experience for you, but I'm sure you did your very best. As I mentioned in one of my earlier comments- I never really thought about the jurors before. All of the TV shows focus on the lawyers, judges, witnesses and criminals- but no one ever addresses what kind of toll a difficult trial takes on a juror. Maybe that should be the next hit crime drama... it would be interesting and different.

      Delete
  11. I have been on a jury only once and found it tiring but fascinating. It was a gang member that was facing the three strikes law (drug dealing) with gang membership enhancement and facing prison for good. He tried to say his gang tattoos were only a PRIDE thing of his neighborhood, but none of us were fooled. He was tattoed all over his head, arms, back with the gang stuff. He had hidden drugs in his butt and that was the funniest part of the defense/prosecution. The prosecutor kept saying over and over, "So whose drugs were in your butt crack?" I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing out loud. She must have said that 5 times at least. Anyhow..... after about three hours of deliberation he was found guilty. I felt no guilt for voting to send him to prison. He chose his lifestyle and kept it up and was convicted three different times. I did feel bad if there were those that loved him. As a parent and grandmother I cannot imagine the pain it would cause to know your child was into this type of behavior. I never did see family there to support him, only a woman dress like a prostitute, which I am guessing was a girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what disturbed me the most about the defendants that I saw face to face- these were real people, young men, their whole lives ahead of them, and I thought of the wasted potential and the wasted potential of the victim (Of course- they are considered innocent until proven guilty. And my comments seem to assume their guilt- but even if they are shown to be innocent they represent so many lost souls.) But the families suffer also- it's all very complicated and sad... It saddens me when I think about what human beings are capable of sometimes....

      Delete
  12. I have served once so far. It was a child in a wheelchair being molested by a family member. It was very upsetting. We found the man guilty but felt a little unsure about it. The judge came back and talked to us afterward as we didn't want to leave and be accosted by the family. He told us we did the right thing that there was other information that we weren't privy to. It made us feel much better. It was very disturbing and I hope I don't have to serve again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why it was upsetting, but at least the judge let you know that you had done the right thing. I'm sure a lot of jurors never get that kind of closure.

      Delete
  13. I've only served on one jury, and that was back in the 1980s. The case was about a man that bought chemicals from a chemical company and the cans that contained the chemicals were not properly labeled. He suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his lower arms as a result. In a way, it was kind of interesting because we got to learn through expert testimony about the difference between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree burns. The trial came to a screeching halt after a week when he settled out of court. Now here's where it gets interesting. About a year later, I was watching Judge Wapner on the People's Court...and guess who was suing a different chemical company in small claims for the same thing! Yep, it was the same guy...and he won his case!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails