Friday, February 1, 2013

Green Challenge: Triple Berry Spinach Smoothie

Guest blogger Samantha is back! Today she shares a recipe that is super healthy and will give your immune system a boost. 


Well, hi there!
It's certainly been a while since I've been here! We had a lovely Christmas & New Year's season, filled with family, & food, & laughs.  I was so ready to get back into the swing of working and creating...
And then the Cold hit.
I say Cold with a capital C because it was quite a force to be reckoned with.  It took out Hubby for almost a week, and took me out for 4 days.  After that, I decided that we needed to kick start our immune systems again.  And with that, I decided to take the green smoothie challenge.  Have you ever heard of the green smoothie challenge?  It involves drinking smoothies that have been made with spinach.  That's right-- spinach!  I was skeptical at first; who wants to drink some concoction that tastes like it came out of a lawnmower bag?  But sure enough, once I took my first sip, I was hooked.  With the variety of other ingredients, you don't even taste the spinach. All you taste is sweet, smooth, fruity deliciousness.



The best part?  With the Greek yogurt you get 14g of protein, and if you choose to add oats as well, you get about 3g of fiber too! I have been drinking these for my breakfast for 3 weeks now and they keep me full until lunch and then some.  So are you ready to dive in?

Here's what you'll need:
1 1/2 handfuls of fresh spinach
1 small banana
2/3 c frozen berries
1/3 c plain Greek yogurt
2/3 c juice (I used Apple Cherry Berry this time, but usually I prefer plain Apple)
1/3 c old-fashioned rolled oats (optional)

Put spinach at the bottom of a blender, so that it blends smooth.  Add in all other ingredients and blend at high speed until smooth.  Enjoy!



This recipe is endlessly customizable; I have made it with all banana instead of berries, flavored yogurts, different flavors of juices, and even with peach and mango!  Go ahead and try a green smoothie; with this flu season we've had it's more important than ever to keep your immune system up!



What to you do to keep healthy at this time of year? Any miracle cold cures? Share them with us!

Happy weekend!
Samantha

PS Don't miss our big SALE going on right now- 40% off ALL patterns! Yippee!

9 comments:

  1. I don't mind spinach in my salad and sandwiches but I am leery about the drink but am all for boosting the immune system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it sounds weird! But I tried it and actually all you taste is the fruit. I actually HATE yogurt, but I couldn't taste that at all either. So this is a good way to get those greens and yogurt into your diet pretty painlessly!

      Delete
  2. That sounds good to me and a nice energy boost for our immune systems.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try one very ripe pear, peeled and diced. A hand full of parsley and a cup of water/ice. Mix all in a blender. This is my favorite green smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm back from holiday and have missed reading your posts!! Excellent post dear, can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole's Chatter is collecting links to posts about shakes and smoothies. I do hope you link this lovely one in. This is the link . Please do pop back to check out some of the other links – there are a lot of good ones already. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacquelynne, thank you for linking this in to Food on Friday. We have got a super collection of shakes and smoothies together. I hope you have stopped by some of the other links to check them out!

    Ps I have just signed up to follow your blog. A follow back to Carole's Chatter would be wonderful – or have you already followed? Cheers

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails